LALELİ (TULIP) MOSQUE AND COMPLEX
Laleli Mosque is built by the Ottoman sultan Mustafa III between 1760 and 1764 and gives its name to the neighbourhood it is located. The name of the mosque comes from Laleli Baba, a dervish and tutor of Sultan Mustafa III. The complex consists of a mosque, soup kitchen, bazaar, shops, fountains, mausoleum, madrasa (Islamic school), trade centre and mumhane (candle factory). Later a muvakkithane (timekeeper’s room) was added to the complex.